Founded in 1989, Green Plan Ltd. is an award-winning Edmonton-based environmental consulting firm. Our core business and main strength is environmental protection and regulatory planning for land development projects related to five industry sectors: Municipal Infrastructure, Subdivision Development, Road & Rail Infrastructure and Surface Material Mining (Sand & Gravel). Our professional services include: Environmental Assessments, Mitigation Planning, Regulatory Approval Acquisition, Compliance Management, and Training.
Industrial railway expansion is occurring at an unprecedented pace with the influx of oil transload, siding extensions and rail infrastructure improvement projects. The associated environmental planning process is complex because of overlapping government jurisdiction and the wide range of regulatory approvals required. In addition, most railways have stringent corporate environmental policies and procedures to manage activities on their property.
Green Plan has extensive experience in environmental protection planning for both private and federally regulated railways. We have successfully completed over 50 transload and 20 siding extension approvals including several Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA) level assessments. We have also written several policies and procedures and conducted related training throughout North America.
- Environmental Studies and Assessments pursuant to the CEAA and other jurisdictions
- Corporate risk assessment such as Project Initiator Environmental Reviews (PIER) pursuant to CN Corporate Policy
- Federal approvals associated with the Transportation Act, the Fisheries Act and the Navigable Waters Protection Act among others
- Project Initiators Environmental Reviews (PIER)
- Provincial approvals for Industrial railways pursuant to the Railway (Alberta) Act
- Provincial approvals related to the Water Act, the Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, among others
- Crown land use leases and agreements in accordance with the Public Lands Act
- Municipal development permits and related studies
- Environmental Management Plans for new construction: hazardous materials, stormwater, wastewater, and emergency response among others
- Environmental Training and Compliance Monitoring