Sand & Gravel
Founded in 1989, Green Plan Ltd. is an award-winning Edmonton-based environmental consulting firm. Our core business and main strength is environmental protection and regulatory planning for land development projects related to five industry sectors: Municipal Infrastructure, Subdivision Development, Road & Rail Infrastructure and Surface Material Mining (Sand & Gravel). Our professional services include: Environmental Assessments, Mitigation Planning, Regulatory Approval Acquisition, Compliance Management, and Training.
Sand & Gravel
Provincial and municipal governments use a range of regulatory approvals to manage sand and gravel activities under their jurisdiction. On Crown land, a Surface Materials Lease (SML) or Surface Material Licence (SMC) is required pursuant to the Public Lands Act. On Private land, registration is required pursuant to the Code of Practice for Pits. The application process typically requires the collection of environmental data and the submission of a mine and reclamation plan. Some municipal jurisdictions require a development permit for sand and gravel operations on lands under their jurisdiction.
Green Plan has extensive experience in environmental planning for the sand and gravel industry. In addition to completing approvals for private operators and municipalities, Green Plan has participated in several government policy initiatives and is the main author of the Guidelines for Acquiring Surface Material leases on Crown Land.
- Surface Material Leases and Licenses (SML or SMC) applications
- Conservation and Reclamation Business Plans
- Registration and Activity Plans, as per the Code of Practice for Pits, for sand and gravel operations on private land
- Municipal authorizations; development permits
- License of Occupation (DLO/LOC) for new roads, right of ways
- Water Act Authorizations; wetland assessments and mitigation plans, water management, water licensing, etc.
- Notification as per the Code of Practice for Watercourse Crossing and Code of Practice for Outfall Structures on Water Bodies
- Federal Fisheries Act Authorizations; fish habitat compensation plans
- Pit Management: Compliance Monitoring, Land Management tracking etc.